3.10.2009

YA and the adoption beatdown

Feeling frustrated after participating in a non-dialogue about adoption on Yahoo! Answers. YA is not a discussion board - you only get one shot at offering your advice, opinion, or expertise on any given topic. After getting tagged with a bunch of thumbs-downs because I did not condemn this, I am frustrated. Not because I don't like being disagreed with - my job would be dullsville if we didn't have lively debates on a daily basis - but because the general attitude on YA toward adoption is very negative, and most posters are very uninformed.

People's reaction to the article, SIAS: YouTube videos are a disgusting tool for prospective adoptive parents ("trolls," they call them) to use. One poster even went so far (or so short?) as to say, "Those people look like losers. There's really a reason they can't have kids." So yes, I know I'm dealing with the uninformed sector of the general public, many who are spouting off on an issue they are not connected to, but at the same time, I can see it in other question posts and answers: a really negative general view of adoption.

And I wonder: Why?

My response to the poster's question (which was, "What do you think of the CNN article?"):

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the actual adoption process is not done without a serious, in-person homestudy.

Are the videos advertising "Cash for Your Baby"? No. Are most adoptive parents greedy, "entitled" bastards? Well I guess they must be, or why would they want to open and share their hearts and homes with a child not related to them by blood, a child who needs a loving family?

The potential for problems is present even in a traditional written vitae a couple might submit to an adoption agency. As long as the video isn't the only criteria for selection, what's the problem? Besides using the word "trolling" and adjectives like "disgusting" a lot, NO one has said, exactly, what the problem is.

Dan B. - "There's a reason these people can't have kids" - what a heartless response. You also mention that 'those people look like losers' - what exactly does a loser look like? (Some people would judge those without the ability to use an apostrophe properly as losers, but that's just some.)

Being an adoptee and huge proponent of adoption (S and I have discussed the importance of adoptees paying it forward by becoming adoptive parents themselves) I was really taken aback not only by the negativity of the collective attitude, but mostly by the ignorance of their comments. The heart (or lack thereof) of their attitude is: You made it, so either keep it or kill it.

I hope it's a small minority that I happen to have stumbled upon today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO you GO!!! I think what you wrote is awesome and I SO agree with you. I clicked on those links you put up and thought it was absolutely sweet that people are making such huge efforts to adopt a child. It shows that they must really want one in order to put themselves out there and I truly believe that God helps those who helps themselves. I hope that ALL the GOOD people who are being picked on for going on FB, myspace, youtube or wherever else find people who want to legally adopt to them.

I tell you what, if we couldn't have children we would adopt too. And like you said, at least there are loving people who WANT them. Too many kids out there are brought into the world and raised by mean, vicious, uncaring people- it's wonderful that there are others who are willing to lovingly adopt another person's baby!

You hit the nail on the head and made me laugh at the same time. Kudos to you, girl! Right on!

Dan said...

hehe. i'm with you. there's a system in place, albeit underfunded, but the purpose is primarily to screen potential parents and home life. it's about child safety, and i think these methods are an innovative way to let birth mothers and screeners to see them. it isn't foolproof but none is.

NemesisVex said...

I find Yahoo!Answers as informative and useful as Youtube comments.

Jenny said...

I've never heard anyone talk about adoption in such a way. I'm really shocked by it. And I'm really impressed with your ability to handle the situation with grace and patience. I think you are certainly dealing with a very small percentage of the population.