3.07.2009

rory wouldn't lie*

Not sure how I decided on the kitchen as a starting point, but here we are.

No, I think where we are is actually "Ugh."

Trying to get rid of SO many things ... but so much of this stuff has sentimental value. When I moved into this apartment, I spent half my waking hours at WalMart, carefully picking this stuff out. I always wanted see-thru plates, so that's what I got. I always wanted tall water glasses, so that's what I got. And now that we have so much 'us' stuff to move in, where does all the quirky, chipped, nonmatching 'me' stuff go? Nonmicrowavable Hello Kitty plate ... "Tuscan Sunset via WalMart" dinner plates ... really awful blue wine glasses that I never use because I hate not being able to see the color of my beverage but that I still love because they're just so not-of-this-century?

Some of it's going downstairs to the unofficial "Who the hell left this crap here?" pile in the lobby, some of it's going in the trash, some of it I'm going to sneak over to my Mom's. We'll see how much additional space this affords us ...

*Update: Non-kitchen but still related: I put some clothes and purses downstairs. The purses were gone within an hour, and so were some of the nicer clothes, but when I went back, two of the shirts had re-appeared. S thinks they were too small. I feel like telling whoever brought back the shirts that I, too, wish I could fit my small tops. Anyway, it's related because I can't put any dishes in the lobby until (if/when) the clothes are gone.

**"Training" for the Hibiscus Half starts today with a SM run + Jazzercise as dessert. "Yaay."

3 comments:

Dan said...

see-thru plates are nice! so are the tall water glasses. i wish i had some. not kidding. i think the kitchen is a good starting point because you can't really store the stuff anywhere else you know? can't put the plates on a bookshelf, so when you finish you are actually finished and haven't shifted the stuff around.

yeah, my cleaning tends to just rearranging stuff and now i've got a clay stick man next to my plates in one of my kitchen cabinets (don't ask).

oh, i stacked my coffee cups. found the most leveled ones and stuck a cardboard box on them, then stacked the others on top. hope that's helpful or stirs some other ideas.

damned_cat said...

rearranging is good. a nice change of scenery is sometimes the best kick-start for productivity. (wait, do you mean to be productive or did you just need more elbow room for navigating the mouse as you surf the web? hehe)

thanks for the cup-stacking tip. in my mad frenzy to make room for water glasses of the tall and matching sort, i got rid of all our cups. but is a cool tip for, say, bowls, which i have yet to tackle.

Dan said...

usually just for more elbow room, i'm not very organized. i tend to move things around, then need them and tear through all my nicely stacked stuff to find it and creating a mess again. i never learn, but it's good job security.