3.06.2009

am finally full ... for now

Today I got an e-mail from Erica Silverman, who actually read my blog post @ threesidedsophie. Actually she wrote to me back in February but I've been really bad about checking my booky e-mail and so just came across it today.

Definitely the high point of my day!

Also had a great dinner tonight ... After searching our unbearably disorganized apartment for 45 minutes for a gift certificate we received a couple of Christmases ago and finding said certificate tucked into the ... bookshelf? - I realized: something has to give. Some major overhaul must take place. Some change of heart, and perhaps of carpet, has got to occur. But not tonight, because we had PLANS, baby. And off to Assaggio's we sped.

Somewhere near Niu Valley we stopped speeding, though, because Scott called the restaurant and found out we wouldn't be able to get a table till 7. So I proposed the usual time-killer: Puppy Fake Shopping at Pet's Discount. (If they can make a game called Cooking Mama, I'm pretty sure we can make a game out of Puppy Fake Shopping, a lovely and fun scheme in which Mrs. Cat walks into a pet store and inquires whether they have, have recently had, or in the near future will have, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. If not, she looks at the puppies they do have and asks to see them. But only if they're girls. I figure, if I were really looking for a puppy, it would be a girl. So unless they have females, I don't ask to hold anything. Then I play with the (girl) puppy, get sad when I have to give it back, and put my name on the Please Call list for CKCs.) Today I snuggled an English cocker whose ears fell in her water dish when she drank.

But back up about 15 minutes. Pet's Discount is a short drive from the restaurant, but I made a mistake: I parked in front of GameStop, which had a big sign out front declaring WiiFit was in stock. Uttering fewer than 50 words (about store clerk's mother loving the Hula Hoop action, by the way), they managed to sell it to us. Ten minutes after walking in, we put down $95 and walked out with our very own electronic yoga master. If it is true that they had "only two left!" (because they are "still so hard to come by!") ... my question is, why? Obviously they are proverbial hotcakes. Why don't they just MAKE MORE? Apparently there are all kinds of things I don't understand about the videogame industry, supply and demand, and resisting retail sway.

Dinner was awesome. Add tonight's din to my growing list of "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"s. My appetite has been on steroids as of late. I had what I always get (clam sauce, garlic) - and in addition to the chopped clams, unlike Verbano, Assaggio's gives you two whole clams on the side. So yummy. A salty, garlicky, ocean explosion - so perfectly cooked I had to give the other one to S. so that he would understand my "When Harry Met Sally" Sally-face.

All in all, a deee-licious Friday. Had too much iced tea, though - yes, am totally ignoring the caffeine stoppage mandate handed down by my doc - and am paying for it now. Plans for tomorrow include doing some form of exercise, buying cookies (TO SHIP TO THE MAINLAND AS THANK-YOU GIFTS. THEY'RE NOT FOR ME. REALLY), buying a big bag of contractor-strength garbage bags, discarding at least 25 percent of our belongings, playing with Becky, registering for the Ford Island Bridge 10K, finishing Framed, and doing some laundry. (Realistically, if I get 50 percent of that list done, that'll be awesome.)

Night!

4 comments:

Dan said...

hmm. appetite that's on steroids, no caffeine, puppies... dare i ask?

pet's discount. makes sense, because the reverse would be terrible. discount pets. uh, sounds shady. like a mafia front. i don't think i'd want to get a pet there.

damned_cat said...

Big LOL, big NO. we're going to venice before it's completely submerged AND before we have wee ones.

oh, and we just got a petSmart! ... but hell if I'm driving to kapolei to buy the spoiled brats MORE toys when they're just as happy with empty cardboard boxes.

Dan said...

i still don't know, about petSmart. is it pets mart or pet smart? cuz pets mart makes sense, but pet smart is clever. i think that's the point.

well, i thought i'd inquire because of the hints. and it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world would it? all the fun shopping, cute presents... morning sickness.

the toys don't leave as much of a mess as an empty cardboard box torn to shreds does.

Dan said...

wv: comma

seriously.