4.20.2009

integrity*

Many kudos to Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA, who refused to compromise her principles for the sake of a crown (or to appease a celebrity gossip blogger). I absolutely disagree with her views on gay marriage, but to stand up on national television and speak from your heart knowing that it will probably cost you a title you've shed blood, sweat and tears for is no small feat. You go, girl.

And as for Perez Hilton calling Prejean's answer the worst in pageant history, I'm sorry, but I personally believe that, uh, no one trumps, such as, Lauren Upton, last year's Miss, uh, South Carolina, such as. The Iraq. Such as.

*update: Prejean's answer was WAY better than Miss USA Kristen Dalton's (and KD had plenty of time to think this over): "I'm not going to say whether or not I think it should be defined as marriage because that's up to our politicans and our elected officials." She instead called for 'civil unions.' Who the hell does she think legally defines civil unions, differentiating from marriage? With that non-answer, KD would have skirted the question and pissed off Hilton just as much as Prejean did, because she wouldn't be saying what he wanted to hear.

Q & A is my favorite part of any pageant, and I think anyone vying for a regional OR national title should be put on the spot with a provocative question concerning relevant current events. Let's move from T & A to Beauty and BRAINS. Even though Prejean is Jurassic in her beliefs, you cannot disrespect her composure and personal integrity. She (and her fans) should stop complaining that the question cost her the crown and be very proud of what she accomplished.

6 comments:

Dan said...

did you watch the miss usa competition? or just see a blerb on the internet? just wanted to know since i'm in ohio without cable or a stable internet connection.

wv: augisise - the plural form of august

damned_cat said...

i did not watch it. the story popped up on my fox news feed.

wv: storbs. retarded storks.

Anonymous said...

I would hate to think that her comments cost her the crown. I didn't want either so I probably have no say. I disagree with her too, however I'd hate to think that a person speaks their mind, openly and honestly and is punished for it because it's the minority. What kind of message is that sending young America? Keep your thoughts to yourself if they aren't what everyone else wants?

damned_cat said...

Exactly.

We'll never know if it was her answer that kept her from the title - that's the nature of pageants and pageant judging - but if it did, I can't think of a better prize than knowing your intergrity is intact and you set a great example for young girls everywhere.

I reiterate, however, that I do not agree with Prop 8 or the denying of civil rights to anyone with regard to sexual orientation, gender, etc. It's not Prejean's beliefs I support, it's the fact that she didn't flinch when asked to state them.

Uncle Bullet said...

I have no problem with what she said or how she said it. I have no problem with the judge asking her that question.

What I'm disappointed with is her whining about how that question cost her the crown. Until the "controversy" started, the whole subject was off my radar.

She drew the judge's name, he asked the question, she answered it the best way she could and Miss NC won. Be gracious and support the winner instead of whining "I was robbed."

damned_cat said...

Well, I agree with that too. I didn't read any follow-up stuff (including a headline I saw about a Cali lawyer that said she could sue, wtf?) so I didn't know she was all embittered. I thought it was just her fans.

If she is prancing around whining, then she should stfu. Because she did a very decent job and should be proud of the results. Whining about losing the title (like some 1st princesses in our neighborhood, b? ;) only knocks her down in class. Way, way down ...