3.18.2009

melting head of a game show host

Holy tessellating game show hosts, Batman! If you can't pick out the melting head in the actual tessellation, the tagboard template is lying on the unfinished portion of the piece. It really does look like a snarky tv show host.

My AS boy had an observation today, and it brought flashbacks of student teaching. The lesson was one of my annual headaches - "Polygon Zoo." Basically they cut out 32 polygons (triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons of every ilk) and classify them in some way that makes sense. BTW, they can't just classify them as "triangles," "quadrilaterals," etc. They have to get more sophisticated - e.g. obtuse triangles, quadrilaterals that are parallelograms but not rectangles, etc. My favorite question regarding the taxonomy of polygons: Which statement is true? A) All squares are rectangles or B) All rectangles are squares.

More running magazines arrived in the mail yesterday (yeah, I know, you're never supposed to sign up for those "free" trials) and one of them had really yummylicious recipes for leeks and bok choy. So you're wondering, then, why there is a photo of asparagus to the left. Well, because when I went looking for the bok choy at S-way, I saw that asparagus was on sale, so of course I bought it. The bok choy was full of interesting little holes, which is unlike the bok choy I buy in Chinatown, but I bought some anyway. S seemed relieved when I got home (our conversation previous to my grocery run went like this:

Me: "Want anything from the store? I'm going to buy vegetables for dinner."

Him: "What ... kind of vegetables?"

Me: "Chard. Beets. Bok choy. We need to mix it up a little!"

Him: "Um ... okay. As long as it tastes good."

Me (Rolling my eyes): "Well it's not my objective to make it taste bad. Plus, you don't have to eat it."

Him: "Oh! Okay.")

Anyway, I got home with the (normal) vegetables and Googled "yummy asparagus." Came up with a Ziploc bag-shaker recipe (if you can call 3 ingredients and 4 steps a "recipe"), and voila, a tasty side that will not clog our arteries. Hooray!


Last bit: I was flagged again on Y!A - this time maybe I was more deserving than last time, with the "Republican" question (and at least this time they gave me a reason: "Insulting other members.") The question, posted by "Franchiseboy":

i am a high school senior and i want to attend stony brook next year tell me how the school is with wat your grades are supposed to be like how many fans attend the football games social life teachers are the girls good looking are there wierd people who go there how were the dorms wat was your overall expierience

My answer:

Dear Franchiseboy,

I'm pretty sure you will have to learn how to spell basic words correctly, and apply punctuation as well as capitalization in your writing before applying to any college.

Sincerely, Chris

I thought it was pretty polite, considering the inanity of the "question." But BAM! Down 11 points. Totally worth it, though.

3 comments:

Dan said...

the phrase: "does not play well with others." comes to mind. please don't grade my grammar or punctuation. hehe.

chard, beets, bok choy. no offense, but those ingredients alone don't sound tasty mixed together. and while it may not be your objective... you know what, i'm not finishing that sentence because i enjoy breathing without the aid of machines.

wv: phoot - the sound a zebra makes just before it tramples a gotin.

plainshorts said...

Omg, honestly when I read the question, I was totally confused because of the lack of punctuation. I had no idea what this guy was talking about ><. hahaha I think you were totally justified in POLITELY calling him an idiot =D heart you sisty! and yay for tasty vegetable! S needs healthy food =D

Anonymous said...

OMG that is too funny!!!

Kid must have been like, "wat duz seh meen?"

And maaaan does that asparagus look yummy! My kids would love that- I'm gonna go google that recipe too.