5.12.2008

p's on earth

Pretty in purple. My friend Niranda's wedding was lovely, from rehearsal dinner to reception (crepes and lobster to the Cupid Shuffle), and everything in between. The corset was tied without a hitch (not without a little nervous sweat on the part of moi, the least dextrous person on EARTH), beautiful vows exchanged, a really ... interesting banzai offered, and crab legs swished through drawn butter. The couple is off to Australia and I now look forward to the next wedding fete: Noce de Peahen! (Not mine, not yet!)

Puh-leeze send help my way. I did something really bizarre at a salon this weekend, which I will simply chalk up to the Barnaby Gaitlin in me. The last time I did something this odd was when I used to catch the bus home afterschool in the seventh grade. One day an older girl at the bus stop announced, "You have a leaf in your hair." I guess it had floated down from a tree overhead and landed without my noticing it. I thanked her, plucked it out, and placed it square on top of the head of a Stevenson boy (whom I didn't know from Adam) and said, "You have a leaf in your hair." Everyone scooched ever-so-imperceptibly away from The Weird Girl.

Projectile puke. Again, Milton waited too long. I heard it hit the floor - and in my split second of oblivious bliss, I toyed with a couple of more attractive possibilities: that someone had forcefully dumped a cup of water on the floor, or one of the custodians was pressure washing the walkway. Yeah, it made that sound.

Putrid. Today was WORM HARVEST day! Say it with me: perionyx excavatus, our blue earthworms are the greatest! ... However, what was not the greatest was the swarm of fruit flies and aroma of rotting garlic and molding bread, which is exactly what I had in my mini-bin. But no matter - I graduated to a 10-gal. bin (which can house 1.5 pounds of worms) and would have won the pool, had we actually made one, because my colony made the greatest gain. From one ounce of wrigglers to 3.75. Promote global worming!

Peace. I love the sound of the new church bells across the street. After a long wedding weekend and a longer Monday of vomit and vermin, de-stressing to the bells is one of those tiny gifts that one must look for and revel in once found.

7 comments:

Dan said...

what bizarre thing did you do? is it anything that i will have to testify in court on?

puke. at least it sounded watery. was it watery? i bet it was watery. the cool thing is that if chunky it would sound chunky.

damned_cat said...

it was watery.

the odd thing i did was allow this stylist to believe i was some totally other person. she goes, "are you _____?" and i said "yes," because that's my name, but as she went on it became apparent that she meant some totally other _____ and she just kept going on about "my" parents and grandparents and how she's so fond of them and i just kept on with the story, adding my own details here and there, partially too tired to correct her but also partially fascinated with the game i was playing: FRAUDLESS IDENTITY THEFT!! try it sometime, it's fun.

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd be there to help with prep closer to your date. I'll be in Oregon by June 20. Hopefully the 19th!

damned_cat said...

june 19! i feel retail withdrawal symptoms coming on already.

:(

Dan said...

haha. that is sorta bizarre. but i do that with my dad's side of the family. they're all haole so when we go out it's a trip.
basically we'll push people into saying we (me and whatever family member i'm with) "look alike" but it's funny since i'm adopted.
or sometimes we play total strangers.

damned_cat said...

HAHA. that rocks. i'd do that except it's not so much a stretch because my family is all asian so we kinda mostly blend.

the major mistake people make with us is assuming my brother is my boyfriend because we hang out a lot.

Dan said...

ew.

that's why i opt to be an only child.