5.19.2008

in spite of my loss*

I had an awesome weekend. Friday was awesome simply because it was the end of a hair-pulling workweek.

"Won't you miss us when we graduate?" asked the kids Tuesday afternoon, after I had mumbled something quite to the contrary. We'd been making Diet Coke-and-Mento geysers, and the technical difficulties of sending half a dozen Mentos and a tablespoon of rock salt down a folder paper chute + their racuous, it's-almost-June behavior was wearing my patience thinner than a bulimic supermodel. "You'll miss us lots, won't you?"

As little fountains of Diet Coke landed and formed fizzy pools near my favorite green Steve Madden sandals, I grimly replied, "Not really, no."

(They know I love them. They shriek with laughter when I tell them otherwise because they are so sure I'm joking.)

So Friday we considered an evening walk, but decided to stay home with Bear Grylls (I say, that Jungle Swamp ep was quite gross - and I've gotten pretty used to eating mushy leftovers while the likes of Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain, and Les Stroud do their Nature Boy / Native Boy thing). Just for fun, read this. It's hilarious.

Saturday dawned bright and early (see previous post). The post-walk hot dog and 2.5 hour nap were muy delicioso. That night I attended a CCCH dinner - and I thought Birth of a Nation was long. Just kidding.

Sunday I did several loads of laundry (any amount of laundry automatically makes it an exciting weekend for me), went to church (surprise appearance by Father Marc Alexander, presiding over the sacrament of Confirmation. This year's slate of "badgered" teen confirmandi included the first daughter of my high school math teacher. I remember when she was born, for goodness sakes.) And in the evening, we (minus Mart and plus Scott) went to see DHT's The Producers. I've enjoyed the entire season but will say this was by far the best production yet, even with Dennis Proulx's vocal affliction. Only The Wizard of Oz left in the '07-08 season ...
_____________________

*I lost my camera. I don't want to talk about it. Okay, I do.

3 comments:

Dan said...

ah, you love'em. until the next class.
you love'em like diet coke + mentos. fun. volatile. difficult to clean up afterwards.

damned_cat said...

volatile, i'll say. ten-year-old drama queens, sheesh, makes me wanna go teach preschool.

Dan said...

yeah but they're not as much fun. besides, what are you going to write about in your blogs? "today they drew another rainbow." pfft. rainbows.