5.18.2008

baby steps, baby

Yesterday: Visitor Industry Charity Walk. Doubletree Alana's chocolate chip cookie stop - this was majorly downplayed by all the people I talked to about this walk. Sure, they mentioned the cookie, but no one mentioned that you should seriously consider skipping the rest of the stops and just hanging out at the cookie tent. I like cookies, but good - or even excellent - cannot suffice as descriptors for these cookies. You just have to check into the hotel - or order a tin online - to see for yourself.

The six-mile walk got me thinking about health and fitness in general. Scott runs two miles at least three times a week. Once a month or something pitiful like that I will join him in a run - otherwise I walk, or I stay back to enjoy/utilize the emptiness of the apartment. Though I walked with Scott's company (sort of, they were all over the place), a bunch of Tong members represented WKHT as well, and at a CCCH dinner last night I talked to my former high school VP, who had participated in the Charity Walk with her daughter.

Not only did they barely break a sweat (whereas Scott and I packed up our plate lunch, headed home, and fell into a deep 2.5-hr sleep), they walk the Honolulu Marathon every year. You can walk the marathon? You mean, people don't bulldoze you off the highway? Eureka! Doesn't training to walk a marathon seem like the perfect baby step toward eventually running it? I thought so.

I've only ever done noncompetitive community run/walks, and so far no training has been required. 2003: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. 2006: Great Aloha Run. 2007: Alzheimers Memory Walk. 2008: Visitor Industry Charity Walk. Not only am I building a great collection of awful t-shirts, but I hope to add more run/walks to my fitness vita, and turn up the intensity, ever so slightly, as I go along.

So my "trainers" and I have a date tomorrow afternoon - but I think I'll keep it a mellowish stroll because the following day our GL has a bus-free field trip to Stan Sheriff - hup two, whippersnappers! They don't call me the Walking Field Trip Nazi for nothing.

No comments: