2.06.2008

miss honey

I feel physically tired after talking to my kids. I can't believe the things they see, the lives they lead when they leave school in the afternoons. No wonder they dilly-dally when the bell rings. One has had the police come to her house seven times in recent memory. Another is in charge of cleaning and cooking as well as taking care of her younger brothers and sisters till her mom wakes up and starts dinner. Two have been locked out of their houses overnight. Several have been kicked or punched recently and think this is okay. Many have been sworn at or told they're stupid by their parents.

It makes me afraid, a little, to have kids. Not because I think I will be that way, but because I bet none of these parents thought they'd be that way either.

Fact: I've recently been (seriously) thinking about other career paths. Fact: A letter I got yesterday reminds me that it's not as simple as just thinking of what's easy, or what makes me happy.

No comments: