12.14.2007

dreams II

A guy named Tony (helicopter pilot for HPD), upon learning that I would rather strap freshly cooked bacon to my torso and enter an arena filled with hungry lions than ever board a chopper, offered to take me up, up and away on a (doorless!) craft in exchange for ... what? Can't remember ... I was about to accept (because he assured me that if I felt afraid he would decrease altitude immediately) when the dog, irl, announced that he had some sort of stomach issue and asked to be taken out.

I think the lion reference had to do with two of my kids, J and Del, coming upstairs for lunch yesterday. One had a pass, and invited the other along. They talked over these awful-looking taco burgers about their parents, their weekends, church, the bible. J spoke earnestly about the scripture passages his sister taught him, like the one where "this guy" who prayed to God isntead of worshipping the king was ratted out to the king by a jealous comrade and consequently ordered to spend the night with the lions; but because of his faith, he emerged the next morning unscathed. I (silently) enjoyed his story and the ease with which he talked about prayer and faith. I also enjoy observing the gentlesness that kids display when they're taken out of the zoo (cafeteria) and allowed to converse freely while eating. They are very civil - may an unscripted please, thank you, what are you doing this weekend?

Del didn't have much to contribute to the bible study convo but he did seem interested in the lions.

J ended lunch by thanking Del for inviting him up.

I <3 my kids.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

It is amazing what kids are capable of when we give them the chance to shine.

I'm amazed that you eat lunch with kids! I'm selfish about that and take that time to talk to adults. I need to set aside one day a week and eat with a couple of kids each week. I used to and I'd forgotten how well you get to know them during that time. Thanks for the reminder.

Dan said...

so no helicopter trip? it's not that bad, really. it's the whole jumping out of them that i have problems with. that and planes. fun, but scary.

Anonymous said...

@jenny: it IS amazing. taking away some of those artificial constraints ("no talking while eating"?!) helps. i am often selfish abotu my lunch times too ... but once in a while will give "lunch passes" as an incentive. the kids seem to like it ... some come up solo, some come up in pairs. it's always rewarding.

@dan: NO HELICOPTERS. no jumping from them, no sitting in them, no, no, no.