11.20.2007

I have this kid who loves to correct me. His habit of questioning me and correcting me is starting to wear my patience thin. The other day one of my girls wouldn't stop rocking her chair perilously far back (she's already fallen on her head once this year), so I finally told her to stand for the remainder of the lesson. (Yeah, I'm medieval that way.) When she was allowed to sit back down, she started walking around the classroom, visiting her friends, being a general pain. I asked her to remain in her seat. Correctypants was by my side in a flash, saying, "Um, why should she sit? Didn't you just tell her to stand up for the period?"

Ten seconds to put my mental backhand back in my mental pocket.

"I told her to stand up for the lesson, and now I'm telling you that if you're going to manage the discipline in this classroom, you'd better listen a little more carefully to the details."

WHEN did kids start behaving this way?

2 comments:

Dan said...

probably about the same time when parents advocated that keeping score at little league games was detrimental to their kids' psyche. or when the race for valedictorian was considered unhealthy competition. or when parents are willing to spend $13,000 on tickets to a pop concert.
i dunno.

Anonymous said...

about the time people started treating kids like small adults rather than kids.