9.10.2010

a frivolous rant about starbucks

Can someone please clue me in as to why anyone would want a layered macchiato? I realize that in real cafes and coffee houses across the globe, a skillfully poured espresso macchiato is a thing of beauty, a piece of art. But this is Starbucks, the McDonald's of the coffee world, and at 6 a.m. I really don't give two shakes of a rat's tail what my drink looks like. It's coffee, not a Mexican Flag.

To me, having to specify that I'd like my caramel macchiato stirred is like going into Jamba Juice and ordering my smoothie blended.

It's been a long time since I've been such a crank about fast food or its cousin, fast drink, but I just discovered today - I've been going to Starbucks several days a week for years, and I actually really dislike most of them. Aside from Kapahulu Starbucks and its lovely, always-friendly barista aptly named Angel, the behind-the-counter space at most Starbucks(es?) tends to be full of blank stares, scowls, and boisterous blather about things people who frequent coffee places would probably rather not know about their baristas.

Starbucks now has this thing called the Treat Receipt: when you order your AM drink, they give you a stamped receipt so you can come back after 2 p.m. and get an iced drink for $2. They usually ask you if you want your receipt. I've used my TR once, ever, but I like getting a receipt anyway because I use my credit card for everything.

Today after ordering I was treated to an extra-special scowl by the cashier (I guess to let me know that she had input my order and I could now get out of the way so she could take the next person's order.) The only reason I waited a beat was because they usually offer you your receipt. When she didn't, I asked for it, and she rolled her eyes, sighed, and tossed it at me. No TR stamp, which is okay because two oversugared drinks in a day is a definite no-no for me, but still, minus points! Minus even more points when my drink came out all layered and stupid and I politely asked for it to be stirred, and it was returned to me sticky and missing about half an inch of macchiato. Thank you, I could have done that myself.

When I left, she was barking at an elderly woman, "I know you want TWO LATTES. WHAT SIZE WOULD YOU LIKE?"

Poll: Do you tip at Starbucks?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I've never understood tipping somewhere where they don't come to take an order or serve you. I swear I blogged about this before myself but I can't find the post.

Dan said...

umm, i thought ranting was my department? even though i've been slacking but still.

and no, you don't tip at starbucks.

Aaron said...

I tip at starbucks. almost every experience i have at starbucks is positive, as the people are generally happy and that makes me happy to see people who enjoy their work. that right there, is worth a tip. do i tip 15%? not always. i just give them whatever coins i get back in change. if i use my CC to pay, i won't tip (which i don't do often). my iced tea usually comes out to $2.50 so i pay $3 and tip about .50 cents. they have enough volume that a nickel here and a dime there adds up to a nice extra $20 per person at the end of the week, which is not bad when you are making a starbucks wage. granted, i almost never go in the morning so I don't see that side of things. I would imagine that people are generally grumpy in the morning and are in a rush, so it's not a good formula for happiness. I also know that starbucks has a habit of making their employees close one night, and open the next day. that can't be fun.

so which starbucks is this where the cashier rolled her eyes? i'd love to go there and see if it happens to me.