1.04.2009

and the good news IS ...

1) We just got back from Kaneohe, where we were stuffed with yum-yums and spoiled silly. Co-ed showers are awesome. Showers in general are awesome. Scott got quite an education this weekend: "I didn't know you got PRESENTS at a shower! I thought everyone was just going over to eat!"

I'm excited about our new cooking implements (griddley goodness, and a departure from our salmonella-loving ways, to name two of our new kitchen cabinet inhabitants) and some fun stuff, too, winkwink - and I loved the soup and sammy spread his family lovingly made for us, but most of all, I'm jazzed to be joining a family who comes together so often and laughs so much. (And the family blueberry cheesecake recipe doesn't hurt a thing.)

2) Got an e-mail from an old friend who is ENGAGED! The holidays have brought a rash (sorry, not the best word) of thrilling news for family and friends near and far. Aside from this newly affianced friend, one of my brother's friends is engaged, several people are expecting, two have new babies, and one has moved into a brand-new home.

I get so ridiculously excited whenever I hear news like "engaged," "new house," "pregnant," etc. that sometimes I jump up and down a little prematurely. (I do literally jump up and down, by the way. I'm trying hard to turn this reflex off.) But three times now, I've just about turned cartwheels with excitement before noticing the face on the bearer of the news. It was, in each instance, not a sorry face, but definitely a face more somber than the mile-wide grin I automatically sport when I hear "baby."

"Yes, well ... we're still in shock." (boyfriend)
"I don't know WHAT he's thinking!" (mother of the expectant father)
"Well, we did plan to have kids someday." (the couple, pretty much in unison.)

For the record, I walked out of the NFP "lesson" given during our Engaged Encounter weekend (it was more of a sales pitch, given by a young couple who were devout Christians from one angle and ignorant, self-righteous bigots from another. Yaknow.) Our plan so far consists of: take at least one significant trip together before having kid/s. And of course, I don't want to be pregnant in October (maternity + go-kart racing = no). We know how many we want, we have differing desires on which gender we hope will come first, we know that I want to adopt at least one, later in our lives together. Other than that, you got me.

3) I feel like we went from having all the time in the world to being down to the wire. Today is the first to-the-wire day that I've felt serenity and happy excitement. Yes, the apartment is a shambles of gifts, half-finished centerpieces and General Mess, but this is Our home. In mere days, it will be the official residence of Mr. and Mrs. Cat. And their dog. And the dog's cat.

4) I wonder if I have time to sneak out for a couple of hours and write some thank-you notes at Starbucks. Or maybe just sit outside Starbucks and watch the world go by. I really hate Starbucks coffee, but Sbucks gift cards are the most popular Teacher Gift on earth, and each post-Christmas season I consume anywhere from $25 - 50 worth of macchiatos, frappucinos, and peppermint hot cocoas. Plus, must indulge in as many of these pleasures as possible before things like aimless Starbucks afternoons and hours lost in the stacks at the state library go from endearing Secret Single Behaviors to not-so-endearing Wacky Wife Behaviors.

Happy last-week-of-vay-cay!!

No comments: