1.23.2008

"all we got is brokeback mountain"

Well Jack effin' Twist. This feels so personal and I don't know why.

The first time I saw "Brokeback Mountain" I was stunned by the overall beauty of it. Ken Momochi and I saw it at the film festival, in Hawaii Theatre (which has surprisingly crappy sound). I actually did not want to go, and in fact prayed silently that the tickets would sell out before we got there, but I guess K-Mo must have prayed harder, because we got in, and thank goodness. It turned out to be one of the most beautiful movies I'd ever seen. I was in love with Heath Ledger's voice (what I could hear of it over the crackling static), with the sheep (which Ken Momochi, with uncharacteristic meanness, took away from me by informing me they were all CG), with the music (again, what I could hear of it). Everything. My view of love (that whatever is motivated by pure love is good) was strengthened by it. I do not think we are going to hell on a gay pride parade float. I think that love will prevail, and the sooner we get used to its different manifestations, the better for all.

1 comment:

Dan said...

well, i can't say i disagree with you. however, i'd like to point out that the southern baptist western crazy people that protest funerals church of whatever, they're going to be protesting his funeral for his portrayal of a gay cowboy.